Saturday, October 23, 2010

Happy Halloween

Last year I purchased some Halloween fabric and never got the chance to use it. So this year I put it to good use. Since I'm not sure I would get a lot of enjoyment out of a Halloween quilt, since it can only be used for about a week, I decided to make a bag/purse!
I absolutely LOVE the way it turned out! I love it so much, I gave it away. What can I say, it's my nature. I get more satisfaction out of something, by gifting it to someone else than keeping it! I don't mean to toot my own horn, but I really like this bag.
Complete with a Candy Corn inside, did I mention it is reversible? Upon completion Kevin and I sat around pondering what to do with a Halloween bag... to make a long story short, there isn't a lot of options aside from the obvious; using it for a week as your purse and storing it away until the following year.
However, if you happen to be taking little children Trick-or-Treating this would be a perfect (fashionable) item to carry all those necessary items around in. Like the extra hats and mittens kids so often discard while running door to door. Or the candy kids like to keep out of their candy bucket to pretend they don't have a lot (I always found people gave me more when my bucket looked more empty). Or to hold a purse which is now conveniently hidden in a festive, handcrafted bag. As I don't have any children, I thought of someone that did and shipped it off immediately to my sister-in-law! Shhhh, she doesn't know it's in the mail yet...
I'd like to think that Daisy was sad to see it go!
And Pepe too, who found it quite comfortable.
This is a process photo, I really don't use a pattern, or a guide, I just start sewing, cutting, assembling and pray for the best. It usually turns out pretty well.
I tried a new type of stipple, on the inside, just to be safe. I'm not that crazy about it. It might be because I've worked VERY hard at being fluid with my stippling and this doesn't require that technique at all, or because it reminds me of Frankenstein's bolts in his neck. Either way, I went back to traditional stippling on the outside.
Luckily this stipple wasn't that visible on the Candy Corns and actually looks kind of cute when not viewed on the batting.
I also made my first tag for this quilt, I was quite pleased with the way it turned out. It's not permanent, but at least it will get my blog out there for people to see.
And this ladies and gentlemen, is what happens when you "live" where you quilt. This folks, is "Life" not to be confused with "Neglect" (I really do love my quilting projects, I just also live with my husband, a cat, and a dog!) So perhaps, later on today, I will try to fix what Life has messed up and begin to sew these pieces together so Life cannot mess with them again.

Do your quilting projects ever get like this?

1 comment:

Terriaw said...

cute bag! I love that quilting you did on the inside. Good description of those cool shapes, like Frankenstein's bolts. I love the photo of Pepe snuggled up inside. My cats love to mess up my quilting projects like that when I have them arranged just perfectly on the floor!