Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Nautical Stripe

I finished up the binding for this quilt in the car on the way to the shower. That's what I love about small baby quilts, they take no time at all and the binding is a breeze. The couple I made this for just had a baby last month and according to their registry, they are using a nautical theme for the baby's room! Nautical Stripe measures 42" x 52" and is the perfect size for a stroller, car trip or to pack in a diaper bag!
I couldn't help myself, I had to make the back with pretty baby fabric, you only get to use it so often. I'd say this quilt is reversible, nautical when in the bedroom then flip it over for some fun baby colors!
For the quilting I used a back and forth stipple I will call the "wave stipple". I like how the quilting looks on the strips, this is one of my more favorite quilting techniques.
And a close up of the back! Yes between all the adorable elephants, turtles, giraffes, lions, kittens, chicks and blocks the fabric does say "cute as a button!"
I believe I am going to send this quilt out some time this week! As the recipients are the relatives of some very close friends, I am still waiting on the address! Below is a picture of the quilting process, quilt is basted and waiting for me to flip the switch on my sewing machine and start quilting. Again I used A LOT of safety pins for basting, it really does make quilting that much easier! (I bet next you're going to ask where we eat, as I'm obviously quilting on the dining room table! My husband often asks that same question, one of the joys of living in an apartment!)
I have a few more quilts in the works but haven't been that motivated lately to really dig in and start my next big project. I think I'm deadline driven, I find it so much easier to dedicate my time to a quilt when a deadline is fast approaching. I think that's because I can put it in front of exercise, cleaning or cooking if it "has to get done soon!" Perhaps I'll start on a few more of the baby quilts I have in my quilting queue! Talk about a solid deadline!

No comments: